Saturday, May 14, 2011

African Cats

The first movie of Summer 2011 that my guy and I saw was Disney Nature's African Cats on it's openeing weekend of April 22nd. Opening week, all profits from ticket sales from this particular movie went to a Save-the-Savannah fund. Here's the Disney synopsis:

"An epic true story set against the backdrop of the wildest place on Earth, "African Cats" captures the real-life love, humor and determination of the majestic kings of teh savannah. Narrated by Oscar-nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson, the story features Mara, and endearing lion cub who strives to grow up with her mothers strenght, spirit and wisdom; Sita, a fearless cheetah and the single mother of five mischevious newborns; and Fang, a proud leader of the pride who must defend his family from a rival lion and his sons. Disneynature brings "The Lion King" to life on the big screen in this True Life Adventure directed by Keith Scholey and Alastair Fothergill ("Earth"). An awe-inspiring adventure blending family bonds with the power and cunning of the wild, "African Cats" leaps into theaters on Earth Day, April 22, 2011."

True to it's claims about bringing "The Lion King" to life on the big screen, I found myself seeing a few of the characters as similar to some of the characters in the cartoon movie. Specifically, I saw young Mara as Simba and the king of the rival pride Kali as Mufasa. The movie was definately true-to-life with all of it's ups and downs. I found myself tearing up at a few different parts and I definately felt the seriousness of the story. The seriousness was nicely balanced with the parts that made you smile, which is why I recommend "African Cats" as a great family movie. It is narrated in a way that younger children and adults alike can appreciate.

My rating: 7

If you'd like to check out the official website for the movie, which is where I found the synopsis, click here: AFRICAN CATS

*Ratings are on a 1 - 10 scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment